Marriage License Information


Applying for a Marriage License

 A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting required documentation to the Clerk. One of the following age-related documents:

  1. Original birth certificate with raised seal, or certified copy
  2. Baptismal record
  3. Naturalization record
  4. Census record

and one of the following photo identifications:

  1. Photo Drivers License
  2. Valid Passport
  3. Green Card or Naturalization Papers
  4. Military Photo ID


1. Social Security Card


2. Past Income Tax Forms


3. Any document providing proof of your entire Social Security Number on the form 

NOTE: Social Security Numbers of the applicants are mandatory. They are required by NY State Domestic Relations Law Section 15 and 42 U.S.C. 666(a).  They may be used for child support enforcement purposes. 

Previous Marriages 

Information regarding ALL previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage will be required by the clerk issuing the marriage license.  



The fee for obtaining a Marriage License is $40.00. 

We accept Cash, Check , Money Order, Credit Cards & Debit Cards

Note: Credit and Debit Cards will be charge $1.75 fee in addition to the $40.00.

How Long is the License Valid?

  A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.   

Age Requirement to Apply for a Marriage License

 The age of consent is now 18 years old (17 with either parental or judicial consent would be necessary)

***Please contact the Manchester Town Clerk's Office with questions***

Who Can Perform a Marriage Ceremony?

 To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the NY State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

  • Mayor of a city or village;
  • Former mayor, City Clerk or one of the Deputy City Clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;
  • Marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council;
  • Justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. COURT of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of the New York, the NYS Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the NYS Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates' Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing Judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;
  • Village, Town or County Justice;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained or granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chose by a spiritual group to preside over the spiritual affairs;
  • other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship Captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State  

Getting Married in NY State Requirements (pdf)

Marriage Pamphlet (pdf)